HOW TO DEAL WITH A DEAD BATTERY
Although it’s an unfortunate event, we all might be faced with a dead car battery sometime in our driving lifetime. Certainly some people know how to approach this situation calmly and are determined to fix it, but then there are others that are anxious and uneducated in how to solve this simple yet difficult challenge. Here are a few steps that you might take in case you have a dead battery.
1) To make the judgment that you actually have a dead battery and not something else is that it might be that the car does not start. When you turn the key or with modern vehicles push the button and hear a clicking noise, this might indicate that the battery is dead and does not want to start. Or, when you do try to start the car and the check engine light appears. With all of these indicators you now know that you have a bad battery. Let us proceed to step two and learn what must be done next.
2) After doing the diagnostics and discovering that your battery had in fact died, multiple solutions can be taken. The first solution that often works for most people is when turning the key or pushing the ignition button, then simultaneously crank or press the gas pedal and try to provide a momentary jump start for the car battery. When this solution does not work, the next step would be to find another vehicle that can provide you with a working battery.
3) With a good working battery from another car close by and turned off, apply the jumper cables first to the car that does not work and in this specific order. The red cable which is positive (+) goes to the dead battery and then to the good battery, and on the same good battery connect the negative (-) and then to the solid piece of metal from the car. Start the good car and wait a few seconds before starting the car with the dead battery. If, after waiting several seconds your vehicle starts congratulations and if not then we will discuss the next step to take.
4) If the previous steps did not help to address your issue then you might be inclined to either call an automotive assistance service such as the AAA (American Automobile Association) which will come out and replace your dead battery with a brand new one right where you are, or visit an automotive repair shop such as Pep Boys and purchase one for a reasonable price.
5) After following these steps your vehicle should be ready to take you to your destination. Congratulations, you have now acquired the knowledge in how to deal with a dead car battery. Hopefully, the next time this happens to you, you will be ready to tackle the issue and not be troubled by the level of difficulty.